Thursday, June 11, 2009

Every time that I have to do my laundry (which has been semi-often because my petit was busy studying for a big exam…but that’s done now and she can resume working off the money she owes me) I think about how I now think that hand washing stuff might actually get things cleaner than a machine. Sure, the clothes take a beating with all the rubbing against itself and the ringing out of the water, but I swear it gets things cleaner.

And now for my observations of World Environment Day

Last Friday my directrice told me to come to school next Friday for some World Environment something-or-other day. Then the next day I get a knock on my door (more like an obnoxious yet scary buzz of the doorbell) and it’s one of my kids to tell me that her mom and sister took off to CEG3 for the World Environment Day…aren’t I going? And so I quickly got ready and zemmed on over to school. And indeed it was World Environment Day. and I think I was the only person from my school not wearing the meme (same) shirt as everyone else. Boy, I felt so non-matchy…that and is it not enough that I stand out amongst the Beninese enough already??? I missed part of the opening ceremony while waiting for a shirt to match. And once I sat down, I kinda zoned out because I could see nothing and hear nothing (because of the generator going). And so I just sat there and observed things. I watched little leafy things drop from the sky. So I looked up and it was nesting stuff the birds dropped as the built their nests. And they were also quite loud. And then all of a sudden I hear a quiet yet distinct “plop” and it makes me jump probably cause I soon realize that it is a little itty bitty baby bird. And it’s still pink with barely any of that fluffy feathers they get when they are slightly older. The poor thing fell literally inches from another teacher’s foot and I wanted to interrupt his conversation to let him know a little bird fell but then I thought he might squish it with his foot to put it out of it’s misery. But instead I said nothing and watched the little guy die. It didn’t take much more than 2 minutes. And then, I nervously kept watch of it because I was afraid someone would walk by and just step on it and then that would be really gross. I think I held my breath everytime someone walked by. Then maybe five or so minutes later a chicken walked by…and I guess they have good eyes for food or good smelling, or something because that chicken just came on right over and pecked the baby bird one, two, three times before swallowing hole. CANNIBAL! At least I no longer had to worry about someone stepping on it.

I don’t remember much else of the ceremony. I guess they gave away some prizes to some students who wrote some good essays. Three of my kids were among those who got prizes. And then it was time for the kids to plants trees! The top 10 students from every grade (well, at least the younger 5 grades) each got to plant a tree (provided I think by the UNDP or according to our shirts the UDNP) and they got a wood plaque thing to label their tree with their name. And by plaque, I mean a flat block of wood that they would write in marker on and attach it to the basket thingy that surrounds the little sapling so that the goats don’t eat it up.

I walked over to where the kids were planting with some of the other women teachers. And I kept an eye out for my kids. I spotted a couple. Awwww, they are so cute. I just love how they come up to me, do a weird little curtsey/bow thing and say “bon jour or bon soir madame.” They’re too cute.

Then it was food time. But I wasn’t pushy enough so that by the time that I made my way in, there was hardly any food left—well, yeah, there was nothing. And there were hardly any drinks left. I told one of my favorite colleagues “it’s a good thing I ate at home, otherwise I would be hungry and mad.” And we both had a laugh at that. Maybe you had to be there. But I think any other PCV from Benin can tell you…or maybe not, but it’s really crazy to be in the same room as the Beninese when free food and drinks are available! HAHAHAHa. But some part of me kinda likes to watch the mayhem. I dunno why.

I stuck around for the discussion on environment stuff…but I paid more attention to the students than the actual talk. But I do remember my student Sylvain (who is VERY bright btw) say some smart-ass thing that made everyone laugh. And I laughed too. But not because I understood, but because I know how he likes to make jokes and how he laughs at his own jokes and that makes me laugh.

There was an older student who was wearing a fancy shirt. And it looked like he was making a big fuss to his friend because he spilled something on it. The stain was visible from where I was sitting. And I sorta stared at him and laughed to myself because it’s funny to me how he kept looking at the stain and wishing it away the same way a girl back home would do. His friends saw that I was staring and said something in Fon and I looked away as I laughed.

Also in the middle of the discussion there was a gust of wind. And it blew up through the tent thing the kids were sitting under and I guess the wind caused the puddle of water there to splash on the kids. And I laugh again because they all scattered like ants. And the kid next to me said “what, they don’t shower?” Hahaha, people here have such a great sense of humor. They’re able to turn any humorous moment in life into a clever joke. I love it.

And that’s about it. I walked home after that with one of my kids to accompany me. At first I refused cause I don’t like my kids to come visit my house. But he said he as visiting a friend who lives in my neighborhood…so to see if he was lying I said I wanted to go too. And he said okay. But then I told him that I was just testing to see if he was lying. But he said he doesn’t lie. And I said that that’s not true, everyone lies. And he said, yes, that’s true.

And that’s all I have to say about that.

(and FYI, the group pictures of the kids in the previous post were from this tree planting day.)

No comments: