I am currently obssessed with the song “Halo” by Beyonce.
A couple of weekends ago, Angelina, Catherine and I went to Possotomé to check out hotel rooms (Catherine’s parents are coming to visit) and to grab a drink at a restaurant at another hotel that literally sits on Lake Ahème (it’s gorgeous).
Possotomé is about a 25-30 minute zem ride away from Angelina’s post. And that was part of the gig. I had wanted to do the zem ride between Possotomé and Lobogo (Angelina’s post). And it was so beautiful and amazing! We left Possotomé and rode along it for about a third of the way. We passed a couple of villages and to the right we caught glimpses of the lake. Then we turned off, or we hit the end of the lake (I can’t remember) and hit a dirt path.
At this point the sun had begun to set and it started to get really hilly. The hills reveal how lush and green the area is. [Catherine got the short end of the stick and rode on the Mate moto (not a particularly stong moto) and struggled up the hills. My zem and I were in the back and stayed behind Catherine the entire way, which she thought was sweet.] It had rained earlier in the day, and we hit a huge puddle. I didn’t think it was possible to go through it, but we did and I didn’t even get wet!
Shortly thereafter, we passed a little village where little kids began running along side us. The sky was a beautiful reddish pink with blobs of a grayish purple from the earlier rain clouds. It was nice and cool out, almost a little too chilly.
Near an enormous Baobab tree, the song “Halo” came on my ipod (which I usually put on for long zem rides). And I saw a squirrel! I really didn’t think they existed in this country…but they do! Who knew! I could see birds fluttering around trees settling in for the night and bats twisting and diving as they hunted for their prey. I can never get over the beauty of the shadows of the trees, birds, and bats against the glowing sky, nor the smell of relief from the sun the evening brings. And to wrap it all up, every time I listen to “Halo,” it reminds me of that zem ride. I was so caught up in the moment, I almost starting crying.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment