I was going to write out a list of random observations…that I have noticed, but as usual I have misplaced my notebook with all the things I have written down…so I’m gonna try to remember them as they pop into my head, and I guess that makes it random as well, n’est pas?
I never really thought about typing, I’m really not that good at it, but it’s even worse now because I toggle bqck and forth between my qwerty keyboard and the keyboard at the cyber, which is the French kind. It gets really annoying, and I literally have to look at the keyboard to see which letters I am typing in so that I do not spell things all weird.
I bought a papaya today the size of my head, for the equivalent of less than 25 cents!! Mmmm, it was sooo good.
So, before todqy, I really couldn’t stand my 5eme class, but then I had my homologue come in and speak with the kids. And she basically told them to be grateful that I am here teaching their class because the 4eme class does not even have an English teacher. So if she hears that they continue to talk and misbehave during my class, they’ll remove me from their class as punishment and put me in the 4eme class. Then one of the vice principals came in to talk to them 5 minutes later and reprimanded them some more…and boy, what a difference the two of them made. It was like night and day. They were SOOOO quiet and obedient and paid attention and did their work, it was a completely different class. YAY! I hope that it stays like that.
Last week when we had the teacher training, I felt like that new kid at school. Not that I was ever a new kid…but I walked into the class and sat down. Of course everyone as late like always…but as the people trickled in, I noticed that all the other table groups were filling up, yet no one was sitting at my group. It was a little sad, lol.
I inherited a bunch of DVDs from the previous volunteers, and I decided to start watching a little series called Weeds. I guess it’s a Showtime series…it’s great. I only had seasons two and three so I watched those in about 2 and a half days. Then when I was in Cotonou, the Nigeria movie guy flagged me over and I was tempted to buy 12 mille’s worth of DVDs…but I cut that down to only 6 mille. I figured that those DVDs won’t really be going anywhere, and if they do, all I have to do is request some more. But this guy is great! On these movies discs, I guess they’re not technically DVDs, but VCDs…either way, they work for me. Anywhoo, they have like 10 to 15 movies on each disc! And they put them together according to genre…kinda. It’s hard to describe, I guess, but bottom line I can get a lot of movies for my moolah. I think the only problem will be…in the near future, is that I will have no idea what movies have come out, which ones I HAVE to see and which ones I really shouldn’t…
The other day, when I was exiting the taxi (from Cotonou) I totally fell on my face. I had a ton of stuff in my hands and the car was pulled over on the side of the street halfway on the road, half on the dirt…quite uneven…so anyways I fell on my face as I came out. and it was mortifying! I didn’t hurt myself, and luckily it was dark out so I hope no one saw me fall. But seeing as how I am white, and pretty much glow in the dark here, I would not be surprised if all eyes were on me as I came out of the taxi and onto the pavement.
Oh, and I got to teach my 6eme kids the alphabet yesterday and today. My 6m2 kids are so cute! I sang the song first so they could repeat it after me the next time, and when I was done they applauded my singing! It was soooo cute!
Oh yeah, and yesterday, one of the facilitators (RCH dude) from stage picked me up from school and took me to the orphanage here in town. We didn’t stay long, just long enough to meet the people who work there, Marie-Claude, Louie, Michel, and some other dude. And of course the kids! I got a tour of the place and it’s so cute…and the RCH guy asked the kids if an of them knew where I lived…and surprisingly, well, maybe not so much, but a couple of them did. I guess maybe word spreads fast about where the white person lives in one’s village. Anyways, the orphanage is really close to my house and they said i am welcome anytime. So I just may find myself there a whole lot! There is this little baby girl who is 10 months old, and she is already walking! And apparently there is a kid or two from the orphanage who are in my class. They were in class yesterday afternoon when I visited, so I didn’t get a chance to see their face(s). As I was sitting there, I really felt like crying. There are about 45 kids living at the orphanage who do not have parents! That may be one of the saddest things ever. It was really just heart wrenching to look into the faces of these kids and difficult to imagine all the emotions that they have had to endure. I really wanna get involved with the orphans and be somewhat of a mentor to them, help cook dinner, bring some cookies over, play games, etc with them.
Everyday is really a challenge in some way, shape, or form but I really feel like God has put me here for a reason. I don’t know if I will ever find a single reason as to why that is, but I learn a little everyday, and perhaps one day I will be able to sum it all up. Until then, all I can do is take each day as it comes and try to look at the bigger picture!
PS
I cannot believe it has already been nearly 4 months! That means I only have 23 more months! And another week has flown by…time flies when you’re having fun!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment