Sunday, March 8, 2009

Once again it’s been a while since I have taken the time to write on my blog. Maybe it’s because I am used to life here and don’t find everything quite so shocking. So maybe that is a good thing, but bad for any one of you two people who actually read this.

We wrapped up our first semester just a couple of weeks ago. That means I am on the home stretch of this school year, and I can’t believe it. And really there is only like 7 or so weeks left of actual teaching left. That is because we have two devoirs (exams) left and each one takes a week. The first is two weeks away. The other is at the end of May. And we have like 2 weeks of break for Easter.

I wrote to Melissa yesterday and it was an interesting topic that I wrote her. She told me that nothing new happened and that everyday she does the same thing. To that I replied that I too do the same thing everyday. Probably not what she wanted to hear, but I think it’s just that. Everyone gets caught up in their lives that they lose perspective. For example, I could write novels on the weather alone. But, for the most part, I think I have stopped complaining, lol. Perhaps I have become desensitized to everyday life here. Don’t get me wrong, here and there, there are a bunch of things where I pause, and go “HUH??”

Anyways, when I get home I am contemplating giving up driving for riding a motorcycle. I know that the weather is not always optimal for a motorcycle, but perhaps I could get one and do what dad does and take it out on the nice days. I think I am just spoiled by getting to ride around on a motorcycle just about everyday. It’s sooooo much fun. Probably one of my favorite things about being in this country. And it’s funny too…in a lot of ways…because people use motorcycles here like you have no idea. First, the majority of people do not wear helmets. Bad idea considering the conditions of the road and how people drive…although I can’t remember if WA has a helmet law. I know that not all states require one. But I am leaning towards a yes for WA. And did you know that three people can fit on a motorcycle? It’s a little squishy, but ça-va. And I have even seen up to 4 or 5 people on one. Granted that would be a little child in front of the driver, the driver, the wife/mother of kids, a child between them, and/or perhaps a baby strapped on the mother’s back via pagne (aka a 2 meter piece of cloth that is the equivalent to the complete opposite of the bra when holding a baby). But I’m sure that I saw 5 people on one only once. 4 is usually the max. It’s kinda cute actually. Instead of the 4 door family sedan or station wagon, it’s the family moto.

Riding around on motos. I feel like such a yovo though, when we’re riding somewhere and the road gets a little bumpy and I have to reach down and hold onto the seat or the little bar thing on the back. The Beninese, man, I rarely see them doing that. I try to keep at least one arm free at all times in case I have to do the grab. But the Beninese, wow, they do not. I see them carrying all kinds of stuff. Chickens, big basins on top of their heads, etc, etc. they have such nice posture too. I hope that I can one day confidently and successfully ride a motorcycle without having to do the grab.

Back when we got training on how to ride on a zem…I remember Lizzy telling us it’s NOT okay to grab the zem. Do not grab around his waist. And I thought it was so awkward and uncomfortable to have to sit so intimately close to someone on such a little seat…it’s like the extreme opposite of the American personal bubble space…you know the one I am talking about. But now, I look forward to zemming. And the personal bubble space—on a zem…that doesn’t apply. And now, I wouldn’t dare hold someone around the waist while riding around. THAT would be awkward, for sure. So now I wonder, mostly because I can’t remember, do people riding on the backs of motorcycles back home grab the driver by the waist?

I look forward to sleeping on a comfortable bed in air conditioning tonight in our new bureau. Here’s to being cold tonight.

PS
I hate beeps. “Beeping” is what someone does when they want to talk to you. But most likely they do not have any credit on their phone. Pretty much everyone does the pay-as-you-go thing because I don’t even know if they have phone contracts…like back home. So anyways, beeping is extremely obnoxious. And I wish they wouldn’t. If you wanna talk to me, find the francs, or find me in town. Well, how about just finding the francs cause I hate it when people just show up. That’s probably another one of my biggest pet peeves. Pretty much anyone in the neighborhood knows where I live. And if they don’t they can just ask around and someone will tell them. I have let only a handful of Beninese people within my fortress, but not in the actual house….I have a little “terrace” in front of the living room. So people I don’t want coming in, but I don’t want to stand in the street with are allowed onto the terrace.

So that’s it for now. Not sure when the next post will be.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Michelle! I must be one of your two readers! I check your blog often, I find your life so interesting. REALLY! We all miss you so much, but I'm really glad to hear that you are doing so well. I promise to get a package off to you soon, things have been CRAZY here but seem to be getting better.
And yes, WA does have a helmet law. CO, last I heard, does not.
Take care of yourself!
Love, Christie and the Family