This year I once again am only teaching 3 classes. Each class meets twice a week for “two hours” each time. I put two hours in quotes because it never adds up to two hours for multiple reasons: kids are late, the kids are disrupting class and I have to pause, someone comes in to give an announcement, the flag ceremony, it gets dark and we can’t see anymore, at the moment my in my 7am class we can’t really start till 7:15 cause it’s still somewhat dark out at 7am…etc.
I don’t know if I ever explained how the College General d’Enseigment (CEG) system works…well here goes, kinda. There are seven grade levels. They go by the French system here:
Beninese grade level=American equivalent
Sixieme (6eme)=7th grade
Cinquieme (5eme)=8th grade
Quatrieme (4eme) =9th grade
Troisieme (3eme)=10th grade
Seconde (2nde)=11th grade
Premier (1ere)=12th grade
Terminale (tle)=1st year of college
Last year I had two 6emes, M2 + M4 and one 5eme, M1. The M stands for nothing that I know of, but is put there after the grade level to distinguish which class it is. For example, last year there was five 6eme and I had M2 and M4. Of the three classes, I decided that M2 was my favorite class; so I followed them into their second year and have them again as 5emeM2.
I hate to admit that as a teacher I definitely have a favorite class and favorite students. And it makes me wonder if I was ever a favorite student of any of my teachers. And I wonder if I would like me as a student?
This year I strongly dislike this year’s 6emeM2. (Side note: I have taken to calling 6emeM2à 6eme-“impoli”. Haha, they are horrified every time I say it because calling someone “impolite” in this society is one of the worst insults there is. Perhaps it is because everyone is so chill and essentially polite, lighthearted, etc.) Anyways, these 6emeM2 kids are little shits. There are nearly 60 of them and about half the class is a mixture of bad behavior. I always leave their class and am in a miserable mood. So this past Thursday we were in the middle of revision because next week the students have devoirs, aka exams. And at the beginning of class I had somewhat of a little heart-to-heart with the trouble makers. I thought we had an understanding that they would begin to behave. I was wrong.
So I stopped what I was doing and quickly packed my bag, said “GOOODBYE!” and grabbed my bag and helmet. However, I didn’t even get halfway to the door when half the class surrounded me, begged and pleaded me not to go and grabbed at me and my things. <
I cannot believe that January is nearly complete. I feel that time is moving faster than ever. Does it ever slow down again? Here are some things that I am looking forward to in the coming months:
February
camp GLOW meeting, important breakfast at the ambassador's
March
Gender And Development weekend up north
April
find out if I got the job in France
May
COS (close of service) conference, Gender And Development dinner in Cotonou
June
end of the school year, Camp GLOW! (PLEASE donate =)
July
hmmm…the new group arrives on the 9th
August
hopefully coming home mid- to late in the month
September
home! (hopefully) leave for France, my birthday
Look at that…something for every month! That seems to make things go by quicker.
No comments:
Post a Comment