Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Money

I started ranting on another topic which evolved into a topic of money and the world. Some new friends I have made in town suddenly made me feel very awkward around them the other day as they have commenced to ask me for things/money/to pay for things in various ways. And it was a whole bunch of stuff all in one sitting. It was like I was repeatedly being slapped in the face. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and pretend like I misunderstood. But I don’t think that was the case.

There is a VERY strongly held stereotype held upon white people, especially Americans that we are all wealthy. Little children I see in the street will approach me, sing the yovo song, hold out their little hands and demand money. At first it was kinda cute, a little funny. But now I can’t stand it. How is it that little children, some probably not more than 5 years old, think that white people are rich?

The largest denomination of money here is the 10 mille bill. It sucked during training when we were paid and it consisted of a couple big 10 mille bills. No one likes the big bills. Everyone cherishes the petit money. It was rrreeeeal fun trying to break those. A lot of us ended up buying things we didn’t really need and that were often a little expensive just to get the smaller bills. It didn’t help the stereotype at all. Here we are, naive Americans trying to buy stuff with big bills and demanding lower prices. How does that look? Like we have money, that’s what. But is that reality, no, not really.

Luckily here at post the guys at the bank know the volunteers and give out small bills. I went to the bank yesterday and the cute teller guy gave me all 1 mille bills, and I didn’t even have to ask! Previous volunteers must have said something.

No comments: